A Lifeline to Family: The Contributory Parent Visa (Subclass 143) for Australia

The Contributory Parent (Subclass 143) Visa is a pathway for parents of Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens to join their children in Australia. This visa is designed for parents who wish to live in Australia permanently.

Key features of the Contributory Parent (143) Visa include:

  • Permanent Residency:This visa allows parents to become permanent residents of Australia, which means they can live in Australia indefinitely.
  • Family Reunion:The visa is designed to reunite parents with their children who are Australian citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.
  • Two-Stage Process:The Contributory Parent Visa is a two-stage process. Initially, you’ll apply for the Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa (Subclass 173). After holding this temporary visa for a specific period, you can then apply for the Contributory Parent (Permanent) Visa (Subclass 143).
  • Significant Contribution:To apply for this visa, there is a substantial financial contribution required, which is higher than other parent visas. This contribution helps cover healthcare costs for the parent in Australia.
  • Balance of Family Test:Parents need to meet the Balance of Family Test, which typically requires at least half of their children to be living in Australia as citizens, permanent residents, or eligible New Zealand citizens.
  • Health and Character Checks:As with all Australian visas, health and character checks are necessary to ensure you meet the requirements.
  • Waiting Period:The processing times for this visa can be quite lengthy, and there is typically a waiting period between the temporary and permanent stages.

The Contributory Parent (143) Visa is known for its shorter processing times compared to the non-contributory parent visas. However, it involves a significant financial commitment. The visa holder can access Medicare, Australia’s public healthcare system, which is a significant benefit for aged parents.

It’s important to note that immigration policies and requirements can change over time, so I recommend checking the official website of the Australian Department of Home Affairs or consulting with a registered migration agent or immigration lawyer for the most up-to-date and accurate information on the Contributory Parent (143) Visa.


Speak Your Mind